Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"The Cable Guy"

Hope I'm doing this right.....


The film that I viewed this week was "Cable Guy". I had to view four movies for another class, so this one was easy to choose. It's just too bad that I had to pick this dribble of a film. I don't know what we're suppose to be discussing in this week's journal blog, since last week was just introduction, so I'll just discuss what worked and what didn't, like what we did after watching the last movie.
This movie did not work for me. The plot was weak, and I wasn't able to find the plot points that made it move. There was nothing exiciting, or remotely funny about the antics of the film.. The beats were dull and made no push. I failed to see a character arc. Just a stupid damsel in distress.
We were talking about how believable some films can be. Clearly, this film isn't suppose to be one of them, but in those cases, you suspend reality and have fun with the movie. This movie wasn't fun regardless of how real or fantastic. The characters were flat and unbelievable. You're suppose to accept that Jim Carrey's character is a psychopath, and oddly enough he's the most believable character in the movie. Everyone else considered "normal" seem more like clichèd robots. There were too many things that the character did only to move the story along, rather than go with what they really would have done if this were indeed reality as the main character shouted to the antagonist at the end of the film.
The movie also relied too much on the success of other films and television shows, such as "Silent of the Lambs" and "My Three Sons". You can't make a successful film by piggy-backing off timeless classics. That just goes to show that you have an unoriginal movie.

No comments: