Tuesday, October 21, 2008

More Than Meets The Ear?!

Michael Bay is the man simply for putting together the sheer awesome that was Transformers. I would get into visual details and talk about how great the movie was, but that would be pointless, considering that the focal point should be something about the sound aspects of this spectacular movie. I saw Transformers in the theater (about five times) and each time I found myself drawn into a world that was so close to our own and so different. The stunning visual effects were clearly a considerable part of this, but what made it even more gripping was the sound.

In a packed theatre, watching the Decepticon chopper known as Blackout land and transform, with the classic sound effect that Transformers fans all over the globe recognize was an amazing experience. That sound is what let you know that you were watching Transformers and there was nothing that could take you out of the world after that. The sound crew must've spent an epic amount of time working on this movie, as nothing seemed to be out of place to me. From the huge firefights to the way the gears and such move on both the Autobots and Decepticons, it all becomes very clear that the world recreated by Michael Bay is about as real as it's going to get.

I'll admit. I'm a Transformers fan so I'm biased. But that is no excuse for the way the world comes to life. During the last battle, I could pick out the small 'tingles' of glass after it explodes. The breath of that hottie Megan Fox as she prepares to take Bumblebee on the ride of his life... to save the Autobots from destruction! In a lot of movies, I can tell when voice overs and such are being used in conjunction with different visuals. Like when the way the jaw moves on a profile shot and the words don't really match those movements? Happens a lot. I didn't really catch too many of those moments in Transformers.

I guess I don't know exactly how to review sound. I think it would be easier if there were problems. I'm sure it wasn't perfect, but I'm a cheater. I picked a flick that I love. So I'm going to say that it's perfect anyway. Which probably goes against everything that the book's chapter stands for. It's like a roller coaster ride... for the ears.

Are YOU listening?

1 comment:

Naima Lowe said...

First, I really need you to put your name on your posts! If I don't know who you are, I can't give you credit for your work!

Second, I appreciate your enthusiasm for Transformers, but I wish you could have given more specific details about the sounds themselves. What did they evoke other than excitement? Could you describe them for someone who doesn't know the film or the characters?